Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Pleasures of a Southern Miss Alumni

Last weekend, Greg, Kirsten and I got to go to Southern Miss' Homecoming. I always treasure the opportunities to go back to Hattiesburg for visits. This is where Greg and I met, so it's very special to us. It was such a blessing to take Kirsten. We always pass Applebee's on Hardy St. and tell her, "This is where Mommy and Daddy met." When we were dating and leaning towards the more serious side with our relationship, we would always talk about getting married and having little legacies we could bring to the games. Now we're getting to live out this sweet talk.

It never gets old strolling around Southern Miss' beautiful campus. There's nothing better than taking those same steps through the campus that we have taken hundreds of times before, and reminiscing about old times. It's so nice to take those paths with a calm and cheerful heart, unlike when we were students. As students we would walk those same paths in a hurry, rushing to class, or going over less than useful notes in our heads, anticipating a test we were about to take...and prayerfully pass. Now, we can take these paths well rested, and focused on everything but test anxiety.

It gives me a sense of pride to call myself an Alumni of University of Southern Mississippi and of Alpha Delta Pi sorority. Both of these keep growing and improving. The sororities now have their own houses...their own Sorority Row in fact. These houses are beautiful. The buildings on campus are constantly being updated and refurbished. The growth and attention given to Southern Miss is obvious and appreciated.

Homecoming brings opportunities to reconnect with old friends. Christmas is for families, but Homecoming is for friends. I hate I didn't get the chance to see all of them. This time I didn't get to meet up with the ones I miss the most. It's just the different seasons in everyones' lives that don't always allow us to see each other. Hopefully, there's next year. Praise God for facebook!

I can't stress enough how much I love my college friends. They knew me when I was broker than broke, dumber than dumb, crazier than crazy, innocent and naive, parents always on my back giving wake up calls at 6:00am, and my friends never judged me for it. They knew me when I was most myself. Whenever I reconnect with them, that part of me comes back. Of course maturity comes with experience, marriage and parenthood. College friends can bring you back to the old you. This would be the "you" that has nothing to prove. The "you" that is encouraged for your accomplishments and not judged by your bad decisions and/or failures.

We've all changed and gone our separate ways. Some didn't marry their college sweethearts and some have. Some have not married yet, and some have taken the "no children" option. Some are all over the United States, and some have stayed in Mississippi. Some are very successful, from the "world's" point of view, and some have less than glamorous positions. As long as every one's priorities are straight, and each person is happy and healthy, that's all that matters.
SOUTHERN MISS TO THE TOP!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment