Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Thought For The Day.....

The other day, I had a conversation with a family member that is most of the time, less than friendly to me. This time wasn't any different. It wasn't a conversation of fighting or screaming or anything, but it was short and cold. Like almost every other time I speak with this person, the conversation ended with me feeling guilty and a little bit upset. I kept playing every word we spoke to each other over and over again in my mind. I spent a lot of the night wondering why I allow these feelings to occupy so much of my time. I prayed for God's peace, which He offered way before I asked Him for it. It was up to me to take it.

Today, it came to me. I can't control what people think of me or how they feel towards me. Of course we all want to feel accepted, but sometimes we just aren't. I've spent so much time searching for ways to make this person happy with me. It may not even be me, maybe this person has other issues. Maybe some people channel their resentment in different ways than I do. Whatever the case, all I can offer is my forgiveness. The point of forgiveness isn't to say here's a free pass to treat me bad. It's saying, you may treat me badly, but I won't allow it to consume me. God has blessed me with so many things, people, relationships, and His forgiveness for my sins. If all I can do to make a relationship work with someone else is offer grace, then that's what I need to do. God will do the rest.

2 comments:

  1. AMEN!! I have someone that makes me feel this way too. I pray about it often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a wise woman to recognize these truths. :)

    ReplyDelete